A bathroom vanity is a stylish addition to any modern bathroom. It provides an elegant look to the bathroom without compromising on its functionality.
The look and style of the bathroom vanity should blend in well with the overall bathroom design. Otherwise, it would look out of place. Thus, having a good understanding of the various types and styles of bathroom vanities is very important.
What Are the Different Types of Bathroom Vanities?
A bathroom vanity is no more the storage compartment of a bathroom. It is now available in different designs and styles that it provides a luxurious look to the bathroom. A few of the most popular types of bathroom vanities are
- Shelf vanity:- This is the simplest form of vanity. This vanity consists of a sink and a workstation on top and an open shelf at the bottom. You can use the workstation for placing soap or other decorative items. You can place towel and basket in the open shelf.
- Floating vanity:- Floating vanity is fixed directly to the wall. It comes with a single or double sink on the top and a workstation. You can use the closed shelf at the bottom for storing towels.
The unique feature of the floating vanity is the gap between the vanity and the floor. This provides enough space for cleaning. Floating vanity is otherwise called wall-mounted vanity.
- Standing vanity:- This is the traditional style of vanity. This type of vanity is supported by four legs. It can either be small or large in structure. The small standing vanity comes with a single sink and a closed shelf. The large vanity comes with a double sink, workstation, and a closed shelf.
What Are the Materials Used for Making Bathroom Vanities?
The base of the bathroom vanities is made of wood. Solid wood, plywood, and MDF are used for making bathroom cabinets. These woods are strong and can withstand the humid condition of the bathroom.
What renders uniqueness to the bathroom vanity is the material used for making the countertop. You can make the countertop of bathroom vanities with any of the below materials.
- Marble: Marble provides a rich and stylish look to the countertop because of its unique texture. It is highly durable and can withstand humidity. But marble is very costly thus adding up to the price of the vanity.
- Granite: This is similar to marble but is less expensive. Thus, bathroom vanities with granite countertop are more affordable.
- Quartz: Quartz is a highly durable material and requires only less maintenance. It lasts for long even in humid condition. When compared to marble and granite, the price of quartz is also reasonable.
- Porcelain: Porcelain provides a sleek and stylish look to the vanity. But porcelain is available only in white. Hence, it is difficult to maintain.
- Tile: Tiles in different designs and patterns can also be used as vanity countertop. But the grout of the tile can trap dirt. Hence, maintaining vanities with a tile countertop is difficult.
- Wood: Wood, when used as the countertop of vanities, should be well sealed. This prevents water from seeping inside and damaging the vanity.
What Are the Things to Consider While Purchasing Bathroom Vanities?
If you are planning to purchase a vanity for your bathroom, the following things should be considered
- Size of the bathroom:- If you have a very small bathroom, then you should consider going for a shelf vanity. Since the shelf vanity is small with open racks at the bottom, it creates an illusion of space.
On the other hand, if you have a large bathroom, then you can go for a standing vanity with a double sink. If you have a medium to a large bathroom, then a floating vanity can be considered.
- Type of mounting:- For a small bathroom, you can purchase a wall-mounted bathroom vanity without legs. This is because this type of vanity creates a spacious look in the bathroom.
On the other hand, if you have a large bathroom with a lot of space, then a free-standing vanity with legs can be considered.
- Style of the bathroom:- The vanity selected should blend in well with the overall style of the bathroom. If you have a modern bathroom that is small in size, then you can go for an all-white bathroom vanity as it creates a spacious look.
If you want to provide a contemporary touch to the bathroom, then a vanity with stainless steel or brown finish can be considered.
- Plumbing requirement:- If you are replacing an existing bathroom vanity for a new one, then you should consider the plumbing requirement as well. The main things to consider are the water supply line and the sink drain line.
In addition to this, if you have any other fixtures or fittings next to the vanity space, you should consider that as well before finalizing a vanity.
Other Things to Consider
- Functionality and your requirement:- Your requirement should be the base for selecting the bathroom vanity. If you are a large family living in a large house, then you can consider going for a double sink vanity with large storage space. This way, you can meet the requirements of your family members.
On the other hand, if you are a family of two staying in a small house, then a small vanity with a single door shelf would be enough.
- Price:- Last but not least, you should consider your budget while purchasing a bathroom vanity. Bathroom vanities can range anywhere from $150 – $2000 depending on its size and functionality.
A simple bathroom vanity with a vessel sink would cost just over $150. On the other hand, large vanity with mirror, spacious countertop and a lot of storage options would cost a little less than $2000.
A bathroom vanity is a must-have requirement for all modern bathrooms. It not only provides a luxurious look to the bathroom but also adds to its functionality. While purchasing a bathroom vanity, you should have a clear idea about the same so that you get the best product for the amount spent.