The shower head is an indispensable part of a modern bathroom. It not only adds to the functionality of the bathroom but also makes it look more stylish and glamorous.
The beautiful shape of the shower heads and its excellent finish make it the right choice for any bathroom design. A good quality shower head provides a new dimension to your bathroom decor.
Why Should You Go for a Shower Head?
There are various reasons to go for a shower head.
- A showerhead provides an unparalleled showering experience. No other fixture in the bathroom can give the level of relaxation and rejuvenation that the water trickling from a showerhead provides.
- It provides a stylish and glamorous look to your bathroom.
- It is available in different finishes. The most common finish is chrome. In addition to this, you can also go for oil rubbed bronze, gold and antique bronze finishes.
- It is available in different sizes. For a small bathroom, you can go for one in 8” to 10”. For a large bathroom, showerhead in 32” size would be the right choice.
- It is very easy to install. You can fix a showerhead with basic household tools. You need not call a technician to get one fixed.
What Are the Problems Faced While Using a Showerhead?
A showerhead is an essential fixture of a modern bathroom. But still, it has its own problem. Let us have a look at a few of the common issues faced while going for one and how to fix it.
- Leaky showerhead: Sometimes, the showerhead tends to leak, causing dripping of water. This can result in wastage of precious water.
If you experience leakage then remove it from the shower arm and clean it. In most of the cases, the leak stops once the cleaning is done.
- Less Water pressure: After repeated use, the water pressure of the shower dwindles. This is because of the deposit of limescale and other dirt.
The best way to deal with this is to clean it with a descaling solution. If it does not work out, then you can replace the showerhead.
- Maintenance: You should keep the showerhead neat and clean for its optimal functioning. For this, you should periodically clean the shower and its nozzle. You can either use commercially available cleaners or natural products for cleaning.
How to Clean a Showerhead?
The daily usage of the shower leads to the deposit of minerals inside the showerhead. This can result in clogging of the shower nozzles, thus affecting its overall performance. Therefore, you must clean it at regular intervals.
The best way to clean a shower is to use a commercially available cleaning product. But these cleaning products contain harsh chemicals that can cause harm to your health. Thus, it is always advisable to go for natural products for cleaning the shower.
One of the best and readily available products that you can use for cleaning a showerhead is vinegar.
How to Clean the Showerhead with Vinegar?
Vinegar is a universal cleaning product, as well as a natural disinfectant. It can clean any product without causing any harm to the surface. Here are two different ways you can clean a shower head with vinegar
Cleaning a removable showerhead
First, remove the showerhead from the arm by rotating it in a clockwise direction. If it is too tight, you can use an old rag to twist and turn it.
Next, fill a small bucket or bowl with white vinegar. It is best to take a container that is slightly bigger than the showerhead so that it is completely immersed in it. Moreover, you need to take only less vinegar for cleaning.
Once done, immerse the showerhead in the vinegar. If you have a metal one like the one with a chrome finish, then you can dip it overnight. Alternatively, you can also simmer it in a pot for around 15 minutes.
But if the showerhead is made of nickel, gold, or brass, then you should keep it in vinegar only for 15 – 20 minutes. Otherwise, the color tends to fade.
Once the shower is soaked for enough time, you can remove it from vinegar and rinse it. You can see white flakes getting washed off from the shower. You can also use a toothbrush to scrub and clean it. Use a microfiber cloth to wipe and clean the showerhead.
Cleaning a Non-removable Showerhead
Cleaning a non-removable shower is a little tough because it’s fixed to the wall.
For cleaning such a showerhead, take a small plastic bag slightly bigger than the showerhead. This way, you need only less vinegar for cleaning.
Now fill the bag halfway with vinegar. You should make sure that the bag is not filled fully lest the vinegar pours out of it. Tie the bag with the vinegar on the showerhead such that the head is completely immersed in the vinegar.
Leave it like that for a couple of hours. The dirtier the fixture is, the more time you need to leave it like that. In case of a shower with gold, nickel or brass finish, you should leave it only for a maximum of 15 minutes.
Once the required time is over, carefully remove the bag from the shower. Now turn the shower on. This will wash off any dirt or minerals that are accumulated around the nozzle. You can also scrub and clean the shower with a toothbrush.
Dry it with a microfiber cloth before using it again.
It is advisable to clean the showerhead once a week. This helps prevent the build-up of minerals and dirt. Even after weekly cleaning, if the water does not trickle easily, then it is time to get it replaced.
You can get good-quality showerheads at an affordable rate from online stores. But make sure that you understand your requirements thoroughly before going for a new one.