A bathroom vanity is a must-have fitting for all modern bathrooms. But what makes a bathroom vanity unique and stylish is the vanity mirror.
A vanity mirror is both a functional and decorative part of bathroom vanity. It provides a stylish look to the vanity and, at the same time, adds to its utility. In fact, a bathroom vanity is incomplete without a vanity mirror.
People usually purchase a vanity mirror by its look. Though the look plays a significant role in selecting a mirror, you should also have a good knowledge of the type of vanities mirrors available for modern bathrooms.
What Are the Different Types of Vanity Mirrors?
- Framed mirror: These are mirrors with a big and bold frame that add to its stylish look. Wood is generally used for making such frames. The frame comes in different designs and styles. Some even come with a decorative finish.
- Lighted mirror: These are vanity mirrors that have in-built LED lights. You can go for this mirror if you want to provide extra brightness to your bathroom.
A lighted vanity mirror can either be front-lit or back-lit. This type of mirror makes personal grooming very easy as the mirror is well-lit.
- Makeup mirror: This is a small mirror that is attached to the side of the bathroom vanity. The mirror is double-sided with a magnifying mirror on one side.
- Mirror cabinet: This is a special type of mirror that comes attached with a hidden cabinet on the back. You can usd the cabinet as a medicine cabinet. It can also be used for storing toiletries and other essentials.
- Ledge frame: This mirror comes with a ledge or a horizontal projection on its frame. This ledge can be used to place toiletries and other bathroom essentials.
- Venetian mirror: These are ornamental mirror with beautiful designs adorning its frame. This type of mirror can be used for both decorative and functional purposes.
- Frameless mirror: As the name suggests, these are mirrors without any frame. If you want to provide a minimalistic look to your bathroom, the frameless mirror is the right choice.
- Extension mirror: Extension mirror is used mostly in small bathrooms. The mirror comes with an accordion mount that adds flexibility to it. You can pull the mirror in and back as per your requirement.
The extension mirror is best suited for small bathrooms with less space.
What Are the Things to Consider While Purchasing Vanity Mirrors?
Most of the people purchase the vanity mirror by its look. As long as the mirror blends with your bathroom décor, you are good to go. Some others purchase the vanity mirror along with the bathroom vanity. They do not consider their actual requirement. But that should not be the case.
Purchasing the right type of vanity mirror adds to the functionality and aesthetics of your bathroom. Here are certain things that you should consider while purchasing vanity mirrors
- Size of the wall: The height and width of the wall where you plan to hang the mirror should be considered. The size of the mirror should be proportionate to the size of the wall. It is best to hang the mirror on the center of an empty wall unless you decide to do otherwise.
While fixing the vanity mirror, make sure that you leave enough space on both sides of the wall.
- The shape of the mirror: Vanity mirrors are normally available in round, rectangle, and oval shape. In addition to this, designer mirrors in unique shapes are also available.
If you have a large wall with a lot of empty space, then you can go for a rectangular mirror and hang it horizontally. If the wall space is small, then you can hang the mirror vertically.
For small bathrooms with less space, you can consider going for a round or oval mirror.
- Frame vs Frameless: This is purely a personal choice.
If you want to create a bold style statement in the bathroom, then you should go for a framed mirror. You can add a dash of color to the bathroom by going for mirrors with a colored frame.
On the other hand, if you want a more simplistic look, then you can opt for a frameless mirror. This type of mirror creates a seamless finish on the wall. Thus, it provides an illusion of space.
Other Things To Consider
- Purpose of the mirror: Your personal requirement plays a key role in deciding what type of mirror you want in the bathroom.
If you normally get dressed in the bathroom, then you need a vanity mirror with in-built lights. For make-up application or personal grooming, you can opt for a make-up mirror.
If the mirror is used to augment the beauty of the bathroom, then you should consider the overall style of the room.
- Your bathroom décor: You should consider the overall décor style of the bathroom while purchasing a bathroom vanity.
For a contemporary style bathroom, you can go for a frameless mirror. But if you decide to go for a framed mirror, then make sure that the frame has a silver or black finish. This is because this finish blends in well with the contemporary style.
If you want to provide a more natural look to the bathroom, then a mirror with a wooden frame can be purchased. But you should ensure that the vanity also has the raw look.
For an antique-styled bathroom, you should go for mirrors with an antique style frame.
- Budget: The price of the vanity mirror varies depending on its size and overall style. Simple mirrors with wooden frames are less expensive. But if you opt for mirrors with special features like built-in light and demister pad, then the price is likely to go up.
While purchasing a vanity mirror, do not go for the first mirror that you come across. Do your research, both online and offline, and go for one that meets your requirements.